Saturday, September 22, 2007

Visiting my Aunt in Northwest England...

Friday I took 3 trains north to visit my Aunt in northwest England.

In England, they are obsessed with green energy, reducing their carbon footprints, etc etc etc - here is a wind farm off the English west coast.


We visited Liverpool, which is quite a cool city. Among other things, it has some funky green birds, "Liver" birds - there are two of them and they sit on huge towers on a famous building. They are on the city crest - and the Liverpool FC football jersey :)

We drove out to northern Wales, and visited Conwy Castle - one of Edward I's castles, built in the late 1200s. It was pretty damn cool :)

In response to a quest to find the longest place name I could in Wales, we visited Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwll-llantysiliogogogoch. It apparently has the longest place name in Britain at 58 letters, and it is Welsh for "St Mary's church in the hollow of the white hazel near the rapid whirlpool and the church of Tysilio of the red cave". Publicity stunt from the 1860s apparently.

In the afternoon we visited Chester, which has Roman walls and cool little streets - I didn't quite get any good photos though :(
Tomorrow, it's off to my other Aunt's house in West Yorkshire.

5 comments:

  1. I remember seeing that sign when we visited back in 01. Have fun with the hamster... you will figure it out when you get to the other Aunt's.. Cool pictures though

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will not be pronouncing it, although apparently that's the pronunciation on the sign :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was great to spend some time with you and show you the sights - cant believe no pics of Chester and the ampitheatre, not even of 'Next' the cool clothes shop!!

    ReplyDelete