Thursday, September 27, 2007

Bonjour from France

Well, that French that I learned 13 years ago is coming in handy after all - as it slowly comes back. Getting off the train in Paris was a real shock - it's a little more scary being in a place where you don't speak the language when you're on your own. And also very thankful that I went to London first and Paul showed me how to use the Underground - I would never have worked out the Metro otherwise (and futher kudos to Paul and Shaz for telling me about the Paris Visite card).

Yesterday I arrived in Paris and found out that it is actually an hour ahead of London, counter to what my travel book says for some reason. My hotel is in Montmartre - I couldn't get a hostel, presumably due to the World Cup - and it is the weirdest place that I've ever stayed in. I have a single bed and a basin and a desk in my room. There is a shared toilet for the floor, and a shared shower for the whole building (although I think some of the bigger rooms have their own showers) - it costs €2 per shower, and you have to push the button in every minute to keep the water going. Weirdest place ever. There's no kitchen either, so I'm having to eat out - not great for the budget.

After I arrived last night I went wandering around because it was still daylight but too late to do anything and stumbled on the Moulin Rouge, 2 streets away from my hotel. I also discovered that they eat horse in France (I had to double check the translation of cheval to be sure). I think I'll be avoiding that particular delicacy...

Today I visited Disneyland Paris - I wanted to see the real French sights first, but I also wanted to avoid the kids that I assumed would pack the place on Saturday and Sunday, and potentially Friday. It was pretty cool - I went on the teacups as predicted, but I also went on all of the other rides. Most of them were pretty tame, especially compared to the rides at Dreamworld - with the exception of Space Mountain which was all in the dark and had a loop and a few corkscrews for fun. It seemed like every second building was a shop though, and there were no shortage of little kids running around in Cinderella dresses and Peter Pan outfits... and a number of adults walking around wearing branded stuff too. I very stupidly only wore a t-shirt and light jacket because it wasn't that cold in Montmartre, and promptly froze to death on arrival at Disneyland, so I bought myself a Disney jumper - I avoided the one that said "D O N A L D" across the front in big letters so that I could wear it at work without strange questions, and got a Stitch one instead (from Lilo and Stitch).

Now that Disneyland is out of the way, I can get down to the real touristing. Tomorrow I think I will have to make the first stop the Eiffel Tower. The most amusing thing I have found so far about Paris (and Edinburgh too for that matter) is that there are New Zealand flags everywhere (and no Australian ones!) I presume this has something to do with the World Cup, but that begs the question - what happened to the Wallabies?

4 comments:

  1. Apparently the Wallabies are staying in the south of France, based in Montpelier, where the locals have adopted them. They were getting 10000 people turning up just to watch them train, and their matches down there have been like home games with all the support.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pffft we told you about the Paris card months and months ago... sounds like you're staying very near where we stayed though. We were about one street back from Pigalle station, about two blocks east of the Moulin Rouge. Nice area. Very "classy red light" atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heh V, the reason they have loads of NZ flags and no Aussie ones is they can't tell the difference...derr...
    PS- keep an eye out for a Patisserie, yum. Chat soon x

    ReplyDelete
  4. About to get on a plane for Singapore, see you in a few weeks!

    ReplyDelete