Friday, October 29, 2010

Ongoing delivery sagas

The other day, our couch was delivered by the rudest delivery guys ever.  They were 45 minutes late and then ignored Stephen's instructions to wait for the Building Manager who would open the delivery lift and jumped in a resident's lift, dumped the couch in the middle of our floor, didn't put it together or set up it up and left without saying 2 words.  Wow.  After they'd left, we smoothed things over with the angry Building Manager, and set it up ourselves.

So now we have a couch!
As I said earlier, after the last delivery fiasco of the non-fitting couch, we decided to get a 2-seater couch because we knew it would fit.  It fit, but perhaps the next photo illustrates the issue better...

The couch is lost in the negative space.

We will have to buy it a new couch-friend once one of us gets a job.  Stephen says that we can't have a TV until then anyway, so it will be ok.  Personally I think the house is starting look a little too beige, but what other colours go with the bizarre yellowy-brown colours of the wall and floor?  Maybe I can get a giant black and red rug to brighten the place up a bit (shhh don't tell Stephen) :)

In other delivery news, my awesome new computer was supposed to arrive today - we got a phone call that said that it would be arriving sometime between 9am and 9pm (!) so to make sure that we were home.  Lucky we're unemployed bums, or we'd never be able to get a computer delivered.  We sat around the house all morning, until around 1pm when Stephen chanced to look over the balcony to see the delivery company van driving away... I called them up and asked what was going on, and they said that they need a code to get into the building, and providing our phone number isn't enough because the delivery guys won't call it.  Sigh.

I asked if I could pick the computer up, and they said sure - which all sounded fine except that I have to show identification containing my name, photo and address, otherwise they won't release it to me.  I have a passport (name and photo), and an Ontario Temporary Driver's License which is what they give you here while you wait for your license to be made and posted to you (which has my name and address only) - apparently showing both of those two forms of ID together are not valid because it has to be on a single piece of ID, so I can't pick up my computer.  Strange that with my passport they'll let me into their country, but not let me pick up a $1,000 computer.  So we went and argued with the Building Manager about the code, got the code, and now we're waiting until Monday when the computer should be delivered.  Fingers crossed that they don't buzz for the delivery (which goes through to Stephen's mobile phone) when Stephen's having his phone interview.

In other news, as per above I have an Ontario Temporary Driver's License (and a real one in the mail), but Stephen does not - the RTA sent me the correct driving history extract stating the issue date of my license, but VicRoads only sent him a list of his demerit points - you need to prove when your license was issued to swap your license over.  If you have that piece of paper it's pretty easy - you give them your current license, show your passport, give them the driving history extract, and they take your photo and issue you a temporary license.

It's been pretty quiet over here in the last few days - we've done a lot of the hard work and now we're in a waiting phase:  waiting to hear back about jobs, waiting for deliveries of computers and study materials, waiting for delivery of my running shoes, waiting to hear back about a suitable rescue dog, waiting for the winter to come.  Hopefully the waiting ends soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment