Tuesday, March 1, 2011

R-r-r-roll up the rim

One of the best things about living in Canada is Tim Hortons.


Tim Hortons is basically a donut store chain, that also has hot drinks, sandwiches, bagels and soups, and it's a Canadian chain (Tim Horton was a hockey player).  Part of its awesomeness stems from the awesome hot chocolate and the tasty donuts.  The Canadian Maple donut is one of my favourites:

That's maple syrup on top, and it's filled with vanilla custard.  Delicious.

Another part of its awesomeness stems from its ubiquitousness - there are 3,040 stores in Canada and only 33M people, so there's one on nearly every corner. The final part of its awesomeness is the price - for a combo including a hot chocolate, some hot soup with a bread roll and butter and a donut (or muffin or tea biscuit or danish - anything you like in the store) it costs me $4.20. Considering that at Krispy Kreme or Donut King in Australia, a donut will set you back $2 and a hot chocolate will set you back $3, I am a big fan of their pricing.

Tim Hortons is having a competition at the moment - apparently it's an annual competition that they've been having for the past 25 years, and it's called "Roll up the Rim". The deal is, you buy a hot drink and you can roll up the paper rim on the side of the cup (which is actually really hard to do) to see if you've won anything (it's printed on the inside of the rim).  


Some Canadians have told me that the competition is run every year when it begins to get warmer again to keep people buying hot drinks - not a bad ploy.  

I thought it was a bit of a joke when I first heard about it, but I didn't count on the Canadian Tim Hortons-mania - not only have multiple different people told me about the competition and asked if I'd played yet, but stories of previous legal troubles resulting from the competition are being printed in the local newspaper.

Perhaps it's time to invest in some more hot chocolates.  And maybe a few Canadian Maple donuts while I'm there...

4 comments:

  1. Get out of town!!!

    It even looks like it has a drive-thru!
    Is it so?!!?

    Drive thru hot chocolate... sounds like heaven!

    Please send me a donut and hot chocolate via any means possible..

    In return... I will give you my first born child!

    Ba ha ha ha

    Jokes on you! Who would want a mini one of me...

    But seriously... please send hot chocolate xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can keep all of your children, they might turn out like you :P

    Come and visit and I will take you to Tim Hortons - the hot chocolate is seriously the best hot chocolate I have ever tasted in my life. It is SO GOOD.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And yes, they do have drive-thru Timmies. The one near me isn't though - but it's 1km from my house so it's dangerous enough already :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. so there are about 1 timmys for every ~11000 people.
    the town that I am originally from has only 8000 people and 2 tim hortons! (both with drive-thrus and fully equipped!)
    best thing since the invention of the toque :-P
    Glad your enjoying tim hortons! and Canada!
    -KIRSTI MCMANN (sunday class-w vicki)

    ReplyDelete